Pages

Friday 28 January 2011

suffragette banners


As well as a passion for craft, haberdashery and all things vintage, i am also really interested in the suffragettes. I used to work at the Houses of Parliament and spent some time looking through their historical documents about the suffragette movement.
we owe these women (and men) so much for their fight for justice.
Please do not get me started on woman who say they can't be bothered to vote today....


i have been asked to make an embroidered banner for a friends daughters 21st birthday which made me hunt through google images for inspiration. i got lost in the suffragette banners...






i was so pleased to see the above image as i actually teach in the borough of Lewisham in south london





if anybody is in London i highly recommend a trip to the woman's library in east London.

I just went to their website and the exhibition on at the moment is....the banner at the start of this blog - ALL ABOUT CRAFT yeeeee. They have many different events on - so i am of to book up. what luck i decided to blog on suffragettes today. Must dash..






7 comments:

  1. You and me both! I have a post in draft about this very topic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should check out the Museum of London, they have a very interesting section on suffragettes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! What a great post - it really makes you think about the women who made these banners.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh yes votes for women is a subject close to my heart too, and I too get very miffed at ladies that can't be bothered. A girl in my office said this during the election and I had to point out that women died to give her that right, and not that long ago either! In fact, I nearly died climbing over the turnstile to get to the village hall to vote, in heels....xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely post and beautiful banners. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very interested in you making a suffrage banner for me to pin my collection of suffrage pins and brooches to. Do you make them on request? I love in Australia.
    Gaye Tindall
    gaye.carson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very interested in you making a suffrage banner for me to pin my collection of suffrage pins and brooches to. Do you make them on request? I love in Australia.
    Gaye Tindall
    gaye.carson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete